Happy New Year!
4DO 22.214.171.124 changes:
1) updates in core Clio:
fixed all freezes in:
3DO Interactive Sampler CD, The
3DO Interactive Sampler CD 2, The
3DO Interactive Sampler CD 3, The
3DO Interactive Sampler CD 4, The
Panasonic REAL 3DO Interactive Multiplayer Sampler
Fixed long time to boot in – Twisted – The Game Show
Killing Time 2.2 alpha runtime freezes fixed
Maybe in some other games freezes fixed too.
2) Graphic fixes:
for Dinopark Tycoon, but not completely 100%
Microcosm – fix start screens, game 100% playable now
Alone In The Dark – fixed fonts, the text written on books, etc, are readable now.
3) New option added – “Scale Mode” enlarges the image, as in NTSC consoles
4) Added support for anvil-bios, anvil chip emulated, needed to run some games of the European region.
Or from the the download page:
Viktor, who has contributed numerous 4DO improvements (including core emulation fixes), has been working on an android version of the emulator. He has been hard at work and could use your help with beta testing!
Viktor has a forum thread on the topic, please get in touch with him if you’re available to help!
4DO Android: Forum Thread
If you’re unavailable to help with testing, perhaps just say hello and cheer him on!
A few basic improvements for the File Browser utility.
- Fixed file extraction – File extraction from the file browser was not functioning because of a missing DLL from the released 126.96.36.199 files.
- File browser tweaks – Users can now cancel copy operations, and basic progress indicators have been added.
If you want to try 4DO 188.8.131.52, head to to the download page:
Now with informational messages!
- Added emulation notification messages – These show up at the bottom of the screen for things such as “Save State” and “Screenshot saved”. There is also a setting under the General tab to turn them off.
- Emulation performance optimization – about a 5-10% improvement.
- Input/Controller setup screen now shows a textual form of what button or function you’re currently pressing (“A Button”, “Save State”) in addition to the yellow halo over the button.
- Added ability to reset all bindings to defaults.
- Added ability to bind to an “Exit” console function, to exit the emulator.
- Fixed bug in which the default input bindings were blank if starting 4DO for the first time.
- Fixed bug in which controller 6 input bindings were unavailable.
- Some minor usability improvements to file browser (added “x files selected” message, and using “up directory” button will highlight the folder you came from).
- Chinese translation improvements
If you want to try 4DO 184.108.40.206, head to to the download page:
Browse for and extract files from your 3DO games!
- File Browser Added – Available through the new “Tools” menu, the file browser allows users to browse the current disc’s file system and extract files. This can be used to find music, sound clips, images, videos, etc.
- German Language Fixed – German is now actually available. The previous release did not properly include a necessary file in the release package.
The files are often unusual formats, so you will most likely have to find tools for converting them.
If you want to try 4DO 220.127.116.11, head to to the download page:
- Binding to Console Events – Users can now bind console events (such as Save State, Load State, Fullscreen) to input devices (keyboards, gamepads, joysticks). Save state without reaching for the keyboard!
- German Language Support – Thanks to the efforts of lenne, German translations are available
Access the console event binding feature from the “Configure Input” screen.
If you want to try 4DO 18.104.22.168, head to to the download page:
“hqx” Filters available!
- “hqx” Filters Added – Users can select hq2x, hq3x, or hq4x from the Display menu, or in the options screen.
- Emulation “Health” Indicator added – This is to help users identify when they have settings that are too intensive for their PCs. See more details below
The hqx filters are full-screen post-processing operations provide benefit via color matching, so there is noticeable improvement on flat fonts or cartoon-style graphics. 3DO games with video or photo-realism are much less likely to see benefit. Here’s a demonstration of hq2x:
Much like the high-resolution rendering (which I’ve renamed to “Double Resolution Rendering”), these hqx filters are very CPU intensive. For example, my 3.0Ghz processor can only handle hq2x at normal speed! Games that do not tax the CPU heavily are good candidates to try.
Note: If you performance is too low for you, you can typically sacrifice game framerate by turning down the CPU Clock Speed in the Advanced settings tab.
I have added a “Health” indicator to help identify when the emulation speed is lagging behind its proper schedule:
Green indicates normal operation. Yellow indicates that the emulation fell behind schedule once recently (and you will hear an audio skip during the compensation), but is otherwise fine. Red indicates that the emulation is chronically behind schedule (at which times framerate is too low and the audio is probably very annoying). Viewing core FPS is still available has not been changed. Games do not necessarily run at 60fps, so FPS wasn’t sufficient to gauge whether the system was running too slow, thus the introduction of the “Health” indicator.
If you want to try 4DO 22.214.171.124, head to to the download page:
Some quick fixes to the 126.96.36.199 release.
- Olympic Summer Games fixed – Olympic Summer Games now boots and is playable.
- Crash ‘n Burn fixes isolated. Several games in 188.8.131.52 were crashing as a result of the game-specific changes. Viktor has modified the Crash ‘n Burn changes so that they are game-specific rather than system wide.
If you want to try 4DO 184.108.40.206, head to to the download page:
3DO History has been made today!
Viktor worked long and hard to add support for Crash’n Burn, making it fully playablefor the first time on any emulator! This is the result of a lot of difficult, meticulous debugging!
Crash ‘n Burn Works!
Great Job, Viktor!
All Changes in this version:
- Crash ‘n Burn support – See additional notes below.
- The Advanced Settings’s ARM CPU Overclock option now allows users to increase it further, to clock speed up to 50Mhz (400%).
- Auto-cropping previously was ignoring the blue channel when detecting black pixels. This has been fixed.
- Russian translation improvements, also from Viktor.
- Translation fix on settings screen for autocrop setting.
Crash ‘n Burn Details:
It’s no hoax! For the first time, you can now play Crash ‘n Burn on an emulator! If you had been eagerly awaiting this capability, send praises Viktor‘s way.
The fix is pretty complicated, so you may run into a few bugs. When selecting to start a race, sometimes the game will still reboot similar as it did before. Additionally, audio for video clips in racer selection screen sometimes improperly synced. However, the game itself is fully playable!
If you want to try 4DO 220.127.116.11, head to to the download page:
Some good updates! Primarily bug fixes, but also a new UI feature!
- Auto-crop feature added. Tired of your 3DO games adding a black border around your game? Enable auto-crop in the display menu to allow 4DO to automatically detect and remove these borders! More details below
- Sewer Shark and Night Trap were experiencing a startup issue in 18.104.22.168. this is now fixed.
- Slam ‘n Jam 95 was crashing after the Samurai Shodown improvements in 22.214.171.124. This is now fixed.
- 4DO now detects additional types of input devices. For example, a PS3 controller set up through MotionJoy now works as intended!
- More French translation improvements from Benjamin Siskoo
- More Chinese translation improvements from money
Behavioral and technical details of the autocrop feature are:
- Cropping will perform at most 25% on each side.
- The amount of cropping performed on each side is determined independently
- If the user has specified to preserve aspect ratio, crops may result in an aspect ratio different than native. This is automatically expanded to the available area. Thus, games that attempt to simulate widescreen can actually be played in the intended widescreen format. An example of this is apparent in the screenshots of Wing Commander III above.
- Auto-cropping will only increase the amount of screen cropping if the available cropping detected remains constant for 1 second.
- Cropping detects black and near black colors; colors within about 6% of black are also considered black.
- If the crop for any side is detected to have been too much for any side, it is immediately expanded appropriately; thus, non-black pixels are always made visible.
I first saw the need for this feature when I played through Lucienne’s Quest. I’ve come to find that several games I’ve played benefit from removing this border: Wing Commander III, Daedalus Encounter, Alone in the Dark 1 & 2, AD&D Slayer, and pretty much any FMV game!
If you want to try 4DO 126.96.36.199, head to to the download page: