There are no functional changes in 18.104.22.168.
I made some updates to the publishing tools in the 4DO repository, this includes a fix in which the SlimDX.dll file was in the “Tools” directory in the zip file (this was seen in the original 22.214.171.124 zip file uploaded, but was later fixed).
If you try out the installer and find issues, please leave a comment!
If you want to try 4DO 126.96.36.199 beta, head to to the download page:
There are no functional changes in 188.8.131.52 beta. This release provides the introduction of the 4DO installer. If you find an issue, please provide feedback!
4DO will continue to provide an option for the Zip file distribution, since many people prefer that option. As you can see on the download page, each release will now provide two ways you to download and use 4DO:
If you try out the installer and find issues, please leave a comment!
If you want to try 4DO 184.108.40.206 beta, head to to the download page:
More incremental improvements, including one more playable game!
- Seal of the Pharoah now fully playable.
- Video timing fix for The Horde
- Improved timing fixes for Wing Commander 3 – Freezes now occur much less often, but can still sometimes occur.
- Graphical rendering fix for Pebble Beach Golf Links font issue – This may also affect other games, but I have not seen any occurrences.
- Russian translations improved – Provided by Sedabi!
- Alt+Enter now toggles full screen mode.
- A couple French translation improvements.
If you want to try 4DO 220.127.116.11 beta, head to to the download page:
Lots of improvements!
- Wing Commander 3 video rendering fixed. It took me quite a while to track down the problems, but the video rendering in Wing Commander 3 is now fixed! Additionally, Viktor has added some freeze fixes to resolve several of the freezes seen when playing videos! As a result, the game is now quite playable! Please be aware that I have still run into a couple freezes during the videos a couple times. If you happen to find a reproducible case, please leave a comment!
- Timing / freeze fixes. Viktor has added timing behavior to work around occasional loading screen freezes in these games:
- Scramble Cobra
- Twisted (EU version)
- Street Fighter II (There were no known freezes for this one, this is just a timing fix)
- As a result of the rendering fixes, some of issues seen in other games are also fixed. Known examples (spotted by Viktor) are:
- The Horde
- Jurassic Park – in the car mission
- Wicked 18 – fonts fixed
- Spanish translations correctly added. I neglected to release the translated files in 18.104.22.168! (Translations contributed by Antonio “Bloodbat” Ramirez!)
- This version also includes some corrections to the French translations.
I dug into the CEL rendering logic and documentation enough to understand the bugs causing Wing Commander 3′s video issues. It took the whole week! I finally saw the resulting clean images at about 4:30am last night .
If you want to try 4DO 22.214.171.124 beta, head to to the download page:
Several games newly supported in this update!
- Game fixes. Provided by Viktor! This involves changes that resolves the remaining freezing issues seen in Phoenix 3. These fixes also make the following games fully playable:
- Space Hulk
- Games published by “American Laser Games” (Drug Wars, Mad Dog McCree, Crime Patrol, Space Pirates, etc.)
- Spanish translations added. Contributed by Antonio “Bloodbat” Ramirez!
- Ability to specify game file/drive via command . Similarly, users may also request fullscreen on startup. See details below.
- Graphical transparency fix. Resolves certain overly-transparent features in Immercenary. Possibly other games, but I could not find others exhibiting the issue.
- This version also includes some corrections and improvements to the French and Chinese (simplified) translations.
Those looking to load games from the command line may now do so with the new command line options available:
= 4DO (126.96.36.199) command line options usage =
= Basic usage: 4DO.exe [-option value][/option "value"][--switch] =
-StartLoadFile [filename] : Loads a game from file.
-StartLoadDrive [letter] : Loads from CD of the drive letter.
--StartFullScreen : Start Full Screen.
If you want to try 4DO 188.8.131.52 beta, head to to the download page:
More languages supported with this update!
- Chinese (simplified) translations added. – Contributed by “money”!
- Portuguese translations added. – Contributed by Enio Marconcini!
- French translations added. – Contributed by Benjamin Siskoo!
Thank you again to Viktor, “money”, Enio Marconcini, and Benjamin Siskoo for taking the time to translate the interface elements!
4DO should default to your system’s default culture. In case you have a different preference (or something goes wrong), you can always set the culture via the “Options” menu. Your default culture is used to append text on the language menu items in case you choose one you can’t read:
If you want to try 4DO 184.108.40.206 beta, head to to the download page:
4DO now can support multiple languages!
- Support for multiple languages added. See the related forum post for information on how to contribute a language!
- Russian translations added. – A gift from Viktor!
- Patched audio timing bug from 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 – This bug manifested as an audio skip about every 4-5 seconds when playing any game.
- Alfred Hitchcock (JP) added to game database.
- Screen saver is disabled while playing.
- SlimDX upgraded to January 2012.
I’d also like to draw attention to the 4DO Compatibility List which users are welcome to contribute to. Please try to follow the format suggested.
If you want to try 4DO 22.214.171.124 beta, head to to the download page:
4DO will soon support multiple languages. To support a specific language, we need the program’s resources (the textual data) to be translated.
There are already current volunteers for English, Russian, and Portuguese.
If you would like to see another language and are willing to help add translations, please head to the related forum post for instructions, and message me in there (rather than here on WordPress where your email address will be public!).
A couple good fixes this time. There is one currently known bug that I will explain below.
- Fix for Phoenix 3 hanging in load screens – A continuation of the changes to move 4DO to the new timing behavior. It will not always work (it works about 50/50, in my experience), so you will have to save beforehand and try skipping the cutscenes at differing times. But the game is otherwise quite playable!
- Once-a-second stuttering/lag spike resolved – It was discovered that some systems were slower to perform than others in polling for input devices, which was causing a noticeable delay in emulation every second. This is now resolved.
However there is one bug I know of in the system which I just recently noticed. As of 126.96.36.199, the emulation is presently working slightly too fast from normal. This is also causing the audio playback to get pushed ahead about once every 4 seconds if using the default audio buffer size. You could run 4DO with “-DebugLogging AudioDebug” to see the symptoms. This is a result of the new timing improvements that are newly worked in, so it will be ironed out in time. Anyway, please be aware that this issue exists in both 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
I’ve also updated the about screen to more clearly Viktor’s contributing role. I am hoping he stays motivated to continue helping with core emulation improvements!
As always, I reiterate that any feedback is appreciated, especially for spotting recent changes!
If you want to try 4DO 220.127.116.11 beta, head to to the download page:
Viktor, creator of 3DOPlay, has offered his time to introducing his changes to the FreeDO core into 4DO. A more complete list of the changes is:
- Timing fixes – a more proper fix for the “temporalfixes” setting in FreeDO’s original code
- Sprites in Doom are fixed
- Fonts and sound speed in Wicked 18 fixed
- Sound in games better, no bugs (some examples are Need For Speed, Escape from Monster Manor, Star Fighter, Slayer, Pyramid Intruder)
- Games work faster (some optimizations added)
- “Bad Slack Calc” error fixed
Thank you Viktor!
The internal timing improvements have various noticeable improvements in games. I noticed that lip syncing in Lost Eden is now working correctly. Some benefits/changes from 3DOPlay are not added. For example, Phoenix 3 currently still hangs at loading screens in 4DO.
In addition to this, I’ve added a few higher-level changes:
- In DirectX rendering, fixed diagonal pixel misalignment when using non-smoothed image resizing. – At certain window sizes, this was causing a “slice” down the diagonal at the center of the screen in which pixels were misaligned.
- 4DO now only emulates controllers/devices that have input bindings. For example, if you have only set up input bindings for controller #1, 4DO will only emulate one attached controller. This resolves the non-responsive controls in Super Wing Commander. However, if you create bindings for all 6 controllers, the game will produce this issue (perhaps the original game acted this way?).
If you want to try 4DO 18.104.22.168 beta, head to to the download page: